diver.net

Re: Two fishermen sentenced for possessing protected sea bass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by halibug on March 18, 2011 at 07:20:47:

In Reply to: Two fishermen sentenced for possessing protected sea bass posted by Max Bottomtime on March 17, 2011 at 15:24:56:

This story is all to familiar to me. Except these people butchered the only opportunity to successfully release this great fish. It floundered way too long on the surface, then was dragged up on the beach, proving fatal to the bass. I was fishing at 3am on the backside of Catalina for White Sea Bass from a small sportfisher when I hooked something huge. After 40 minutes of pulling I realized I did not have a white sea bass of a lifetime, but I had a 200lb Black float up to the surface next to the boat. They will float just like in the video, but are still very much alive. I said to my boat captain, I am a diver, I know how to revive these great fish. He gave me the ok, so I dived into the black water and swam to the fish. I then grabbed it with my thumb by the lower jaw and swam it down about 12 feet when it just came to life and powered back down to the bottom. Besides a bleeding thumb from the sharp jaws of this huge fish I had successfully released a fish that I would have never wanted to harm

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to