diver.net

Three Days, Three Islands On The Vision

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on April 10, 2011 at 21:12:48:

We just got home after a three day trip to San Miguel, Santa Rosa and Santa Cruz Islands. Weather forecasts did not look good before the trip, but despite the wind and surge we saw only a few sprinkles on Friday morning.
Most of the passengers spent the three days hiking, so that left the deck open for a handful of divers. On Friday we dived Hare Rock, Prince Island and Judge Rock at San Miguel. Visibility was low and the surge was strong so I only shot a few macro photos.
DSC_0945

DSC_0986

DSC_0973

DSC_0974

DSC_0983

DSC_0992

DSC_0997

DSC_1023

DSC_1002

DSC_1006

DSC_1038

DSC_1042

DSC_1033

DSC_0962

On Saturday we attempted a dive at East Point Canyons, Santa Rosa Island but surfaced after only fourteen minutes. The surge pushed us twenty-five feet in either direction and wouldn't let up. We relaxed on the boat the rest of the day.
This morning we made two dives on the Spirit of America wreck near Scorpion Anchorage, Santa Cruz Island. When I heard Patrick Smith announce we were diving a wreck I switched to a wide angle setup. My shots came out okay despite the bio-clutter in the water column, but the wreck is covered with so many different species of nudibranchs, sponges, snails and shrimp that I would love to make several more dives on the wreck shooting macro. I tried a few close up shots of macro subjects with an eight inch dome port with varying results.
Spirit of America9

Spirit of America8

Spirit of America24

Spirit of America34

Spirit of America38

Spirit of America2

Spirit of America3

Spirit of America10

Spirit of America25

Spirit of America26

Spirit of America40

Spirit of America4

Spirit of America5

Spirit of America6

Spirit of America11

Spirit of America12

Spirit of America13

Spirit of America14

Spirit of America16

Spirit of America18

Spirit of America20

Spirit of America21

Spirit of America22

Spirit of America27

Spirit of America30

Spirit of America32

Spirit of America33

Spirit of America35

Spirit of America36

Spirit of America37

Spirit of America39

Special thanks to Captain Andy for setting up the trip and to all his friends and neighbors for making the trip fun. Extra special thanks to our new dive buddy Breanne. She's an intern on the Vision who came here from Nova Scotia by way of British Columbia. She had great fascination for the animals we found because it was all new to her. She's made over 120 dives since getting certified last September and looks like a seasoned pro under water. Her spirit and infectious laugh kept us smiling all weekend. She even carried much of our gear back to the car. Merry said we could adopt her.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to