diver.net

Drift dive

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Merry on June 11, 2011 at 19:25:07:

Since Phil has a cold and couldn't dive today, we thought it was a good time to experiment with drift diving. Phil motored to the 3-mile line over the edge of Redondo Canyon, and found a current line that we hoped would contain a few jellies.

We attached a lift-bag to my spool, let out 50' of line, and clipped off the spool to my harness. The idea was that I'd be drifting at the same rate as the jellies, and wouldn't have to do a lot of swimming to keep them close. I could also let out more line if needed.

Photobucket

This worked well. Apparently, between the wind and 2-foot, closely spaced swells, the boat drifted faster and in a different direction than I did. But I was able to stay with photo subjects without too much work.

Although we were 3 miles offshore, vis was poor to at least 60 fsw - lots of thick, chunky schmutz.

Photobucket

Phil Photoshopped this photo. The orange mass in the center of the jelly contains the stomach, mouth, and gonads. The tentacles are contracted here, but are much longer when fully extended.

Photobucket

Thankfully, Phil didn't leave me out there...

Photobucket

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.