diver.net

Road Trip, Day One. Morro Bay T-Pier

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on July 12, 2011 at 17:47:17:

Merry and I arrived in Morro Bay yesterday and checked out conditions. We talked to the Harbor Master and got permission to make our dive from their dock. It was nice not having to make a surface swim on a beach dive.
Morro Bay is about as laid back as any place on Earth. They have most modern conveniences except for hull cleaners. The boats have artificial reefs growing under them, including the USCG and Harbor Department boats.

Only Psycho Solo Diver is macho enough to go in there

I timed the dive to enter the water just after high tide. There was a strong surface current yesterday, but no problems today. The visibility was only about four feet, but that is plenty for muck diving. The water was a toasty 54F, three degrees higher than we're used to in L.A.
I began by walking down the harbor dock ramp and made an easy seated entry near the end of the pier.

Aegires albopunctatus

Dendronotus frondosus

Triopha catalinae

Polycera atra

Flabellina trilineata with Hermissenda crassicornis in the background

Doris montereyensis

Diaphorodoris lirulatocauda

I had two possible firsts for me. I found two large (four inches) dorids that I first thought were Monterey dorids but they lack the texture and black dots.

I was ready to call it a day after an hour and six minutes when I spotted my first Aeolidia papillosa.

Among the other denizens of the not-so-deep were various anemones, crabs, mollusks and fish.

After ninty-nine minutes under the pier, I made an easy exit on the rocks next to the ramp. We're heading to Monterey tomorrow, but Morro Bay is on my list of site to return to.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to