diver.net

Snow in July

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on July 23, 2011 at 16:40:58:

The ocean was nice and flat this morning as we left Redondo Beach. Salps were drifting just below the surface along the west side of Palos Verdes. The water was clear enough to see them, but it was the color of green harbor water. We headed to the south side looking for anything nice.
Fishing boats were over many of our favorite sites, so I decided to check out Ted's Pinnacle at Marineland. It had been a long time, and I needed a fix.
The surface looked nice. There were a few small salps and we could see down the kelp about ten feet. We dropped through a mild current and watched the visibility drop as we descended. There was a snow storm of particulates in the water, which my camera tried to focus on all day.

Not too bad near the surface

Jesus Blob is hardly recognizable

Our Lady of the Garden in winter garb

The crack on the north side of Ted's Pinnacle. It is usually filled with fish, but only a few sheephead darted in and out today.

This is the rock just to the north of the statue. I usually find Hopkin's Rose nudibranchs here, but there was a larger surprise in store.

We're hoping for better vis tomorrow when we head to Long Beach for Wolfeel, metridium and Blue Whale photos. Hopefully it won't snow.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to