diver.net

Tropical diving near Long Beach

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on July 24, 2011 at 16:03:34:

Scott and Margaret (Good luck charm) Webb joined us for a dive on the African Queen this morning. The water along the south side of Palos Verdes was blue. We were hoping for more of the same off Long Beach, but expecting green harbor water. To our pleasant surprise, it was a beautiful cobalt blue. Scott said the winds that picked up after the dive must have blown it in from the Caribbean.
I've seen blue water in the Horseshoe Kelp area before. It usually goes down to forty feet before turning brown. Today the thermocline was at forty-three feet and although the vis diminished, it was still good enough for wide angle photography.
I dropped the anchor near the propeller of the wreck. There is a new clump of monofiliment net on it since our last dive here.

Behind the propeller is a small wolfeel who allows cameras to get close. He was not there today, instead replaced by a large adult. Margaret, Scott and I took enough shots of him to blind him permantly.

I swam over to the foredeck to shoot some metridiums when I spotted the smaller wolfeel in a new home. I promised Margaret a wolfeel and metridiums but didn't expect to see two.

After what seemed like a three minute dive we ascended back up to the blue, looking for jellies along the way. Merry spotted a Leucothea pulchra at twenty feet. She took some shots while I watched from the anchor line, then I took a turn. By the time I found it I was below forty feet, but you can see in this shot with the boat in the upper right corner that I was still in blue water.

We didn't find any Blue whales as was reported in the Daily Breeze yesterday, but still had a great time.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to