diver.net

Great weather...for kite flying

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on July 31, 2011 at 16:08:18:

Merry was in Phoenix all week, so we couldn't wait for the weekend to arrive so we could dive again. We found a tiny Metridium senile on the Redondo Barge last week but I was set up for wide angle. On Saturday I had my 60mm lens ready and all the swell models looked great.
We pounded our way to the barge and decided it was too rough to dive. We headed around the south side of Palos Verdes for more of the same. We wasted so much gas that we had to go into Los Angeles Harbor a week earlier than expected to fill up. We cruised by a couple of the ships from Navy Week in San Pedro, then headed for home.

We fought wind waves all the way home. Our gear was soaked, despite the fact that we never got in the water.
This morning we tried our luck again. The halyards were clanging against their masts and flags were stiff. We went back home and hoped for better conditions next week. After a few hours at home we were bored and decided to try again. We made it to the barge without too much effort. It was rough, but there were no whitecaps yet.
The visibility below the thermocline at thirty-five feet was very nice. I could see the sand from thirty feet above and I could see each end of the barge from the center. The metridium was gone, but I found another in a rusted hole.
The water was 53F at depth, with a nice 62F during our ascent.

Delonovolva aequalis

Metridium senile

Aegires albopunctatus

Flabellina iodinea

I'm hoping for better conditions next weekend. I may have to get Margaret Webb to wave her magic wand over the water.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to