diver.net

CALIFORNIA DIVER MAGAZINE--

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SDM on August 13, 2011 at 06:50:54:

CALIFORNIA DIVER MAGAZINE!

I have A COPY! Finally I have a copy.....!

Since Skin Diver was first introduced in December 1951 I have been a diving "magophile" and as the various magazines were introduced I collected and hard bound them.

I have a complete bound set of the worlds first magazine devoted to diving published right here in SoCal, "Skin Diver Magazine; a magazine for skin divers and spear fishermen" (1951 to it's demise) including almost every diving equipment catalog published and all Underwater Film Festival programs. This is the only set of its kind in existence any where in the world, and only one of less than 20 complete sets of Skin Diver Magazine.

I also have complete bound sets of “Dive”, “NDA News”, American SCUBA Diver”, Aquarius”, "Water World", "Underwater", "Fathom", "Sport Diving”, "Underwater Photographer",” California Diver (the original !),” “ Pacific Diver”, “SCUBA PRO Diving and Snorkeling”, “Diving and Snorkeling Quarterly” “Ocean Realm”, “Sport Diver”, all of which are no longer published. Currently I maintain and bind current sets of “Dive Training” & "Historical Diver” (USA),

I have the only known complete set of “Pacific and Atlantic Underwater News”, published from 1966 to 1971. It was the first newspaper devoted entirely to the underwater world. And of course published right here in SoCal

And now I have A COPY, of the new CALIFORNIA DIVER!--An extremely rare unknown magazine here on the central coast where I reside.

As one in my dotage I was only familar with one author, Mr.Otto Gasser who wrote a very good complete article on Jade Cove. I have a certain amount of pride in Otto's article since it was my article I published almost 50 years ago which introduced Otto to Jade Cove and Jade diving

The "back story" to the article;

I began diving Jade Cove in 1957, at that time it's location was unknown except for a few LA Co UW Instructors. In 1965 I published a very complete five page article on Jade Cove, where it was located, how to dive it, how to locate and Identify Jade, which opened the cove up to the general public for diving. After all most of the huge hunks had been removed and were in private homes. A 125 pound piece of Jade is great to own..It becomes a center piece in the living room, then a door stop, then to the rec room, then a rock for the grand children to play on, then a yard decoration, finally a rock for the family dog to pee on every day....Then it begins it's journey from one off spring to another...it is only a green rock.

Otto was introduced to the underwater world a few years after my article was published via a basic class during his graduate work at UCLA, followed a few years later as LA Co UW Instructor when he discovered my article and Jade diving which he embraced with open arms. I would urge every one to read Otto's fine article and sometime in the near future plan on a Jade Cove camping trip and if the God's are kind and the surf is down dive for Jade.

BACKTO CALIFONIA DIVING....A QUESTION--

Is California Diver still being published? How many issues have been published? Or like so many publications of the past died with out fanfare after a few issues ?

Does anyone out there in SCUBA Diving land have extra copies they would like to trade for copy (S) of a vintage SKIN DIVER? The month you were born? The month you were certified? As a gift? if so PM me..

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to