diver.net

Incredible Day At The Rust Heap

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on September 07, 2011 at 20:35:12:

If you had told me a few years ago that I would be diving the Redondo Barge and the Landing Craft frequently I would have bet against it. I found these sites to be boring and devoid of any interesting marine life...Then I got a camera.
We went back to the landing craft this afternoon to try for better images of the octopus eggs Merry found on Labor Day. The two octopus were gone. I presume they died and were eaten since their offspring appear ready to hatch soon. After giving the embryos epilepsy with all the strobe flashes I looked around the wreck for any other subjects. I found the juvenile giant seabass in the same hole it was in two weeks ago. As I settled down to set up my shot he got camera shy and bolted. He brushed against my camera, but not before I fired off a premature shot.
I heard some strange sounds coming from Merry and looked to see that a cormorant had rubbed against her leg while in search of some fresh seafood. I couldn't get a shot with my 60mm lens, but he remained on the wreck for more than a minute. I wish I could free dive that well.
For Merry's latest trick, she surprised me again with another new find. She pointed out a small file clam swimming along the rusty deck. I did my Chris Grossman impression and took a ton of shots of it. I was surprised at how much they bounce around.
We've made two new discoveries on consecutive dives at the Landing Craft. Add those to the four GSBs we've seen and it's becoming a decent site to dive on. Don't tell anyone I said that.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to