diver.net

Breaking News...Swell Models Wrong Again

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on October 17, 2011 at 20:31:25:

Predictions for today were one to two foot swells. We couldn't leave the marina until 11:30 due to thick fog, but we should have stayed home. Four foot swells, wind and red tide along the west side of Palos Verdes did not look inviting. We decided to look on the south side for any possibility of getting in the water. Buchanan's Reef look diveable.

We anchored near the south end of the reef so we could look for a net that Ross Overstreet found awhile ago. Before we got dressed we saw two unusual sights. An inflatable was towing a floating platform, making very little way, and a cormorant with fishing line caught in its beak.

We wanted to use a net to catch the bird and wrap a towel around it so we could remove the fishing line. "Stringer" didn't think much of that idea.

Visibility on the reef was less than ten feet with 51F water temperature, but we found the net. I managed to fire off a few shots before we had enough of another bad dive.

I ended the day by cleaning the bottom of the boat in the slip...with my camera. :)

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to