diver.net

A good day in the Bay

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AndyS on December 03, 2011 at 21:06:57:

Since we had eaten all the lobster in our possession, figured it was time again to go bug diving. Thus Cindy & Pat and I slipped out of MDR this morning despite the Small Craft warnings – and to our joy, there was only a mild NE Santana wind blowing. Small 2 foot swells were rolling in gently from the west so we decided to go south to the “Iron Box” area and look for bugs. Not a bad choice. Pat & Cindy took 8 on their first dive. I kicked over to a near by rocky area and took several as well. Vis was OK, 10-15 feet and considering the swell last week, it certainly could have been worse. Most interesting thing was the gorgonians – they were festooned with squid eggs but there were no squid eggs anywhere else. Usually, with squid eggs, there are masses everywhere but that was not the case today.

We then decided to run north to the Venice rocks where found better vis of 20 feet and willing lobsters so we closed out our limits for the boat. At this time, the wind had died completely and it was a gorgeous sunny flat day. Unfortunately, these low rocks don’t hold calico, only lots of really big sand bass so we then went up to the North SM Bay rock piles to find Calico. However, now the wind had swung around to the N and was really starting to blow. I quickly got my gear on and made a jump to get a calico for the admiral’s dinner. Just as I pulled back the rubber on my pole spear while aiming the first one, it snapped. No fish and no pole spear rubber. However, by just wrapping the broken rubber around my hand, I was able to get enough “push” in the spear to get a couple of “the right size” calicos for the Admiral. The crew quickly got me back onboard and we headed for home in a stiff N breeze off our stern quarter.
Photobucket

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.