diver.net

Conditions are still bad, or is it just a fluke?

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on December 24, 2011 at 19:59:37:

We left King Harbor this morning in search of better conditions than yesterday. There were also reports of more Orcas heading our way. We didn't find either, but minutes after exiting the harbor we found six Gray whales diving in less than 90 feet off Malaga Cove.

We saw four more at Pt. Vicente before checking out our own places to dive. Most sites had strong currents due to the new moon and large tidal swings. We ended up diving the sewer pipes off White Point. This would be an interesting place to dive on a better day. Blue-ring topsnails and Tritonia festiva were everywhere. The strong surge and blowing sand kept us cowering behind the pipe most of the time.

I found one of these worms earlier this month at Marineland. I have not identified it yet.

The world's smallest metridium anemone.

We wanted to make a kelp dive on our way home. Neptune Cove looked like Catalina. Blacksmiths and sardines swirled below the boat, and we could see twenty feet down the kelp. Once we hit the reef it was a different story. Strong surge knocked us around the entire dive. I spent more than five minutes between taking some pictures while waiting for the surge to subside.

Extreme close up of a Sunflower star.

Hang in there, Baby.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to