diver.net

Re: Contentious California Marine Reserve Program Goes Into Effect; Fishermen Begin To Incur L

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on January 25, 2012 at 16:48:53:

In Reply to: Contentious California Marine Reserve Program Goes Into Effect; Fishermen Begin To Incur L posted by on January 24, 2012 at 18:14:16:

resent the duplicity of this article

"250 mile arc of coastline"

The very first para implies that the reserves are huge, (250 miles!) That is a deliberate false impression constructed by the author.

First of all, the MPA's cover 15% if that, not 20--a 20% reduction in the area to fish does not translate into a 20% reduction in income. If you can't fish here, you move a couple miles away and start fishing in a non-restricted area--Pretty damn simple if you ask me...(this is a totally false assertion)

As we all know by now, the advent of hoop netting has had a much more substantial impact than the closures have on local lobster populations. (DRY-WARM-from the comfort of a boat and you still get to take a SEVEN limit--ARE YOU SERIOUS??)

How on earth can anyone expect an MPA to protect against an oil spill--that is a specious argument.

"People need access to sustainable ocean food for nutritional health and our livelihood,"

while it may be a 'fact' it simply isn't true--

LOCAL SEAFOOD IS PRICED OUT OF THE BUDGET OF MOST WORKING FAMILIES! Locally caught (and wild imports) costs as much a filet mignon. It will never be a staple for an average working family. The myth about fishermen feeding a hungry world is patently untrue at the prices fresh fish command in today's market.

I quit fishing in 2000 because the sportfishing community declared WAR against the CI reserves. There was never a doubt in my mind that these reserves would come to fruition and i can't tell you how thrilled i am that we finally have a small set of reserves along the coast--

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to