diver.net

Three Stooges Dive the Radio Tower

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on February 04, 2012 at 20:27:49:

Kevin Lee joined Merry and me for a couple of dives on the south side of Palos Verdes this morning. The water was dirty in most spots, but it cleared between Marineland and White Point. I haven't dived the Radio Tower off Pt. Fermin for a few years so today looked like a good time to revisit the site.
Technically, the site should have a different name. The tower, laying on its side in 105 feet is too short to be a radio tower. It looks more like a RADAR tower or an oil derrick. We dropped together and headed down the line. Visibility was limited as we reached fifty feet. I spotted a salp chain and pointed it out to Merry and Kevin. They each took turns firing off a few shots. I turned around to look for our downline and it was gone in the gloom. We looked for a few seconds, then made a free ascent. At the surface we joked about what a dumb move that was, then dropped again. By the time we reached the tower the vis was a little better.
Metridiums, golden anemones, corynactis, scallops and large blacksmiths greeted us.

After returning to the surface we laughed about our stupidity, then headed for White Point. Kevin had only made one dive there and had really bad vis. He was in for a treat. Now he has two dives there in really bad vis. He said he's good for a few more years before diving there again.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to