diver.net

Re: Dive flag regulations

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sailor Jerry on March 26, 2012 at 22:12:12:

In Reply to: Dive flag regulations posted by Ken Kurtis on August 22, 2005 at 13:43:23:

I have been boating in California all my life. Never diving.

First, I would note that part (D) of the CA code is routinely ignored by divers. When I see a Diver Flag flying from a boat moored in it's slip in the marina, it cheapens the effect of the flag.

Second, I definitely support part (B).
Last weekend I was participating in a sailboat regatta. The start line had been set up and about 4 of the 12 boats racing were cruising back and forth in the area tuning up their sails. At this point an inflatable (with dive flag flying) came zipping out and dropped anchor about 30 yards down wind of the start line. Somehow they missed the half dozen 25' to 40' sailing vessels churning up the water around them and the anchored power boat flying the Race Committee flag, making horn signals and testing flags. This pair of divers must have decided that the fishing would be good where all the boats were at.
Being a responsible mariner, I brought our 30' sailboat near to them, hailed them and let them know this was an active starting line and would be quite busy for the next hour. They looked at me and pointed at their flag. I pointed at my sail and figured they could think about it.
I mean, really, do you want to listen for a sailboat when you are coming up???

I would support a clarification of the law to include precise "keep clear" areas along with teeth to enforce it. I would also appreciate teeth to enforce the "no flag unless you are in the water". Finally, I would require that no dive flag be hoisted unless the restricted area has been clear of boating traffic for the past 10 minutes.

I mean really, dropping anchor and diving as a sailboat regatta is starting? I have a 5000lb lead keel and no motor. I will never even notice your noggin on my keel and you won't hear me coming. Perhaps this would be Darwin at work but I would rather not be involved.

Common sense on both sides of the dive flag would be greatly appreciated by those of us who do make an effort to stay clear of divers in the water.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to