diver.net

Diving sucks, but we found some incredible animals

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on July 01, 2012 at 20:06:40:

We didn't expect to get in the water today after yesterday's debacle but needed gas for our next dives. The water on the way to Los Angeles Harbor was a milky green. After filling up the tanks and saving over $140 compared to filling up in King Harbor we checked out the U.S.S. Iowa, San Pedro's newest attraction. It will open to the public on July 7th.

After leaving Angel's Gate we noticed the dirty water had moved east. We could see a clear boundary between the crud and much clearer water. We considered diving one of the nearby shipwrecks, but it was late in the afternoon and we knew we would get pounded once the wind came up.
We headed west and noticed that the expected whitecaps never materialized. Suddenly a flying fish leaped from the water next to our boat. I hadn't seen one in more than ten years. I was glad we skipped the dive, as we would have missed that. A few minutes later Merry spotted the largest Mola Mola she had ever seen. We tried to coast up to it but it dived before we could get a photo. We soon learned why it was in the area.
We found a dozen large (12 inches) jellies. Neither of us knew what they were. I haven't been able to find an identification yet.

While looking for more jellies, Merry spotted a baseball sized animal floating on the surface. It may be some kind of deep water cephalopod. It doesn't look like any jelly, octopus or squid I have ever seen. We scooped it up in a bucket for some photo ops.

We decided to get in the water after all so we could get some images of the little guy under water. The brown water near the bottom was thicker than yesterday. I got a few seconds of video, then checked out a brick on the sand that has three octopus nests on it.
If conditions improve, we hope to have better images on Wednesday.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to