diver.net

From Cozumel - images showing behavior

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Merry on August 27, 2012 at 18:50:42:

Behavior-watching provided delightful entertainment. There was cleaning action galore.

A juvenile Spanish hogfish cleaning blue tangs. What this photo doesn’t show is that the busy little fish was repeatedly mobbed by other larger fish waiting their turn.
Photobucket

A juvenile French angelfish bugged this honeycomb cowfish for a parasite snack, but the cowfish wasn’t having any of it.
Photobucket

As this stoplight parrotfish scrapes algae from the rocks, a cowfish waits for tidbits.
Photobucket

Dogging this yellow goatfish are a puddingwife and a fish I can’t identify. Is that a barred jack?
Photobucket

Sporting breeding-blue, a male sergeant major guards the eggs.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Completely unconcerned about divers, this sharptail eel kept “heading right for us”. It finally took a fancy to Scott’s glove, and held still for a brief second.
Photobucket

Surprising behavior occurred at night, particularly among the yellowline arrow crabs. I saw several instances of territoriality, as they duked it out with their nearest arrow crab neighbor. This crab pinned a smaller crab with both claws.
Photobucket

Not big enough for his britches, a white speckled hermit feeds at night.
Photobucket

By far, the wildest thing I saw was a drama involving 3 white speckled hermit crabs.

The middle crab was the aggressor, while curiously balancing a smaller hermit on top of his shell. The middle crab grasped the larger, (lower) shell and by continuous, rhythmic rocking, attempted to oust the resident crab. This went on for a good 30 seconds. Meanwhile, the little hermit on top held on for dear life. After a furious effort, it appeared the middle crab was unsuccessful in his attempt. At last, the resident crab emerged as if to say, “Better luck next time, chum.”

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to