diver.net

Redondo Artificial Reef Report

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on September 22, 2012 at 18:56:39:

In lieu of Kevin Lee's return, Walter Marti joined us for another attempt at additional footage of the Redondo Barge. I tricked him by anchoring at nearby Phil's Reef.
There were chunks in the water and two strange phenomena on the bottom. A current built during the dive which made it difficult to swim, even along the bottom. Just as it was getting stronger, it stopped. Also, a thermocline created a visual disturbance two feet off the bottom. I'm used to seeing these in mid-water, but not on the bottom. Our cameras had a hard time focusing through it.

Walter and I with dreams of visibility dancing in our heads before the dive.

I dropped the anchor right in front of the Crab Sculpture, a concrete and rebar formation covered by Corynactis. From there it is a short swim to one of the octopus nests and the metridium post. The current was too strong to move very far from the anchor so we didn't go exploring.

Crab Sculpture

Merry harassing a small metridium

You looking at me? You looking at me!!??

I saw two Mola Molas above the metridium post, so it was decided to move to the barge for a second dive. We thought we might get some cleaning action.

Mola Mola over the metridiums

Visibility at the barge was a little worse. The chunks seemed to be bigger and the water felt warmer. My computer recorded 56° on the first dive and 60° on the second.

Walter began shooting video of an octopus nest while I kept watch for hungry cabezons. I must be a lousy security guard because one was sitting an inch from the nest. He didn't seem to want food, but liked the neighborhood. I evicted him by threatening him with bodily harm.

I went to the top of the barge to look for Mola Molas. There were five, but the visibility was so bad that the only decent shots I got were from the one curious Mola which circled me continuously.

Everything was fine until the marauders showed up. All five Mola Molas made a bee line for me as four sea lions began their playful chase. I don't think the Molas found it funny.

Not that Fall is upon us, perhaps it is time for the good visibility to return to Palos Verdes. Maybe I'll have pleasant dreams about it tonight.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to