diver.net

Radio Tower and White Point Rock Report

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on September 30, 2012 at 21:40:39:

It was time for another trip to the fuel dock this morning. Walter Marti and Linda Blanchard were meeting us at the Cabrillo boat launch in San Pedro at 8:00 so we had to leave Redondo Beach before sunrise.

We arrived a few minutes late after stopping to pick up several balloons along the way. We loaded Walter and Linda's gear and headed for the Radio Tower and White Point Rock.

Captain Phil explains the rules to Walter and Linda. No smokers, no drinkers, no hunting, no scooters, etc. We have a lot of rules on the No Pressure. :)

I've always wondered who named that site Radio Tower. The tower submerged in one hundred feet off Pt. Fermin is too short to be a radio tower. It actually looks a lot like the crane towers on the old Southwest Marine lot on Terminal Island.

Visibility on the tower was marginal, but the upper water column was great. Lots of gelatinous critters floated by and looking up at the boat from thirty feet was not what we're used to.

We headed for White Point Rock where we found similar conditions. A sea lion buzzed us, flicking a Pseudoceros luteus off the reef. I took a few shots, then gently placed it back on the reef.

We returned Walter and Linda as we found them, then threw six hundred dollars worth of gas into the tanks. By the time we rounded Angel's Gate, the wind was howling. It took us three hours to get home. It's now past my bedtime and I haven't cleaned up yet. We need a cheaper fuel dock in Redondo Beach!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to