diver.net

Blue water in Palos Verdes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on October 06, 2012 at 16:58:56:

I had some shots planned for a video at Phil's Reef, so we headed for the Redondo Artificial Reef this morning. The Westbound dive boat was already near our spot, so we changed plans and headed for Haggerty's. Merry wanted to shoot macro and I figured I might get some practice shooting video. I haven't done much of it in awhile.

The surface water was a deep blue, something we only see far offshore. We geared up and lowered our cameras into the water. They quickly tried to swim to Santa Monica. A strong current was running from the south. Merry put the current line out and we jumped in. As she approached the bow, she told me to drop NOW!

As we descended, the blue water took on a familiar greenish tint as the sea snot flew past us. I tried to make the best of it, so I began searching for the two moray eels that reside on the wreck. Neither were home, but the Rubberlips clung together in a tight-knit school in the current. Merry took several thousand shots of them while I played near the crane.

I saw a Mola Mola being cleaned, but this one was skittish and skidded out of there right away. I guess he hadn't heard from the ones we've been seeing lately. For some reason, the sunfish on the Redondo Reef have not only allowed us to get close, but they have come close enough to be cleaned by us. I think Margaret Webb may have actually removed a few parasites.

The current never subsided throughout our one hour-plus dive. As I reached our ladder I looked under the boat and could clearly see Merry more than forty feet away. Too bad that clear water didn't reach the sand.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to