diver.net

Re: Controversial proposed abalone fishery on San Miguel Island

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin Sullivan on December 03, 2012 at 21:59:51:

In Reply to: Controversial proposed abalone fishery on San Miguel Island posted by Stephen Benavides on November 29, 2012 at 21:30:45:

I wrote the commission tonight:

Dear Commissioners,

I learned today of the California Abalone Association’s request to your commission to consider opening an “experimental” commercial abalone fishery at San Miguel island. I find the fact that the commission has actually agreed to consider this request very disturbing.

Every scientific assessment of the San Miguel island abalone population to date has indicated that the population has not recovered to levels prescribed by the Abalone Recovery and Management Plan (ARMP) of 1997, including the overall recommended density of 2500 animals/hectare. Exploitation of the abalone population at San Miguel island before it returns to minimally viable levels would not only put the local population at severe risk, but significantly prevent the expansion of that population further down the northern Channel Islands.

As a California citizen and regular recreational diver in Southern California, I strongly object to any consideration of abalone harvest whatsoever until populations across all Channel Islands, not just one specific localized island population, have recovered to levels well above the recommendations of the ARMP. Premature harvesting of any abalone before these levels are achieved will only serve to ensure the final end of abalone populations south of Point Conception.

Please reject the CAA’s request for opening any harvest of abalone in California waters. I thank you for your consideration of my comments.

Sincerely,
Kevin J. Sullivan

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to