diver.net

Strangers In The Night

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on January 19, 2013 at 17:57:15:

We were looking for something different this weekend. We tend to dive the same sites over and over, photographing the same animals. Merry suggested, or more like demanded that we dive in mid water during the pre-dawn hours. I told Kevin Lee her plan and he was willing.

We set out EARLY this morning for a gelatinous critter search. We marveled at how lovely the city lights are in the middle of the night, yet none of us took a picture. The ocean was dead calm except for the sea lions and dolphins cavorting nearby. One pup made a game of dive bombing Merry and Kevin. We heard the squeaks of the dolphins for several minutes during our ascent.

We didn't find anything interesting in mid water so we dropped to the bottom. I found a new octopus nest and Kevin found two Aeolidiella oliviae. I surfaced a few minutes before Kevin and Merry. The floaters showed up after I left the water, so maybe M&K got some great shots.

photo RedondoNightDive3_zps8fa34eca.jpg

photo RedondoNightDive2_zps50ee4a37.jpg

photo RedondoNightDive4_zps58fff55d.jpg

photo RedondoNightDive6_zps00acd3ca.jpg

photo RedondoNightDive9_zpsf78e901c.jpg

After sunrise, we headed for Marineland, where reports of good visibility were posted this week. After anchoring, a small Gray whale surfaced less than five feet from our bow. We could see the mottled gray patterns on its back as it cruised just below the surface. Again, nobody took pictures.

We dropped near Ted's Pinnacle. Visibility was a murky fifteen feet despite the calm, flat water. I took pictures of the same animals over and over again. I did find an unidentified worm burying itself in the sand.

photo RedondoNightDive21_zps736ff076.jpg

photo RedondoNightDive12_zps2704edec.jpg

photo RedondoNightDive13_zps5a686a24.jpg

photo RedondoNightDive18_zpsb9b79bac.jpg

photo RedondoNightDive16_zpsc5ddf856.jpg

photo RedondoNightDive22_zpsa98683b9.jpg

photo RedondoNightDive11_zpse70baa78.jpg

Visibility at Redondo Beach was twenty-five feet. Both sites had 52° water temps. As we approached King Harbor we saw several boats just offshore from Vet's. I thought that there must have been some good fishing near shore, when suddenly a huge whale surfaced in front of us, heading our way. This time, Merry got pictures. :)

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to