diver.net

Oxylebius pictus (Painted Greenling) in Urticina lofotensis (White Spotted Rose Anemone)

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on January 28, 2013 at 23:51:36:

This last weekend January 26-27, 2013 I went on a two-day lobster hunting trip aboard the Peace. Although everyone else on the boat was there for bugs, I used about half of my dives to take pictures.

On Saturday we went to the back side of Santa Rosa Island, the water temperature was 53°F, and the visibility was 40-60 feet.   On one dive we were at the deep end of the reef that comes off of East Point.   This is a spot I have often visited on hunting trips, but have very few photos from, so I choose to take my camera.

On a rock just above the sand line at about 95 feet there was a medium sized Urticina lofotensis (White Spotted Rose Anemone).   As I got closer a saw a small Oxylebius pictus (Painted Greenling) sitting in the anemone.   I had never seen this before and did not know that there were any local fish that could live in an anemone, so I decided to take some pictures.   I took 65 images, many with the camera and strobes just inches away.   Eventually the fish became annoyed with me and left the anemone and dashed into a nearby crevice.

This particular Urticina lofotensis (White Spotted Rose Anemone) seemed to have more than it’s share of copepods.   I wonder if the Oxylebius pictus (Painted Greenling) was there to feed on them.

Here are a few of the images I took:

Oxylebius pictus (Painted Greenling) in Urticina lofotensis (White Spotted Rose Anemone)

©2013 Chris Grossman, diver.net

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.