diver.net

Rockfish aplenty on the UB88

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on February 02, 2013 at 19:36:42:

I've been viewing several videos from the UB88 the past two months and kicking myself for missing out on the good conditions. The best visibility I had seen on the German submarine was ten feet, until today.

The ocean was a giant millpond as we motored toward San Pedro. We could see sea lions resting at the surface from a mile away. As we arrived onsite, the sun began to peak out just as we were entering the water. I had high hopes for blue water.

photo UB88-1_zpsb19843aa.jpg

It was pretty clear as I descended, getting darker as I neared one hundred feet. Suddenly, the visibility opened to forty feet as I reached the school of Squarespot rockfish that hover above the wreck. Temperature at depth was a nice 54°, only three degrees cooler than the surface.

Several species of rockfish were out and about today. I saw my first adult Starry rockfish, Sebastes constellatus. I found a juvenile at White Point a few years ago, but this guy was large and in charge. He dwarfed the numerous Honeycomb rockfish on the sub. Only the Vermilions were larger.

I looked for some of the wolfeels, but they had gone into hiding. I checked out the metridiums on the net before joining Mid-water Merry in the salp soup above the wreck. I have never seen so many pelagic squishies as I did today. Carrying a wide angle lens and monster dome port, I left the tiny critters to Merry.

photo UB88-22_zps5497f5c3.jpg

photo UB88-7_zpse0fd364a.jpg

photo UB88-11_zps37dc22cc.jpg

photo UB88-12_zpsd5ed8544.jpg

photo UB88-4_zps16ea3d21.jpg

photo UB88-10_zpsda61c04c.jpg

photo UB88-16_zps06c153ef.jpg

photo UB88-21_zps92f0c4f8.jpg

photo UB88-13_zpsd87794fe.jpg

photo UB88-3_zps6d09e313.jpg

photo UB88-17_zps1addf687.jpg

photo UB88-18_zpse1c5c5b7.jpg