diver.net

Re: Article in Dallas newspaper about the Mako killing

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on June 08, 2013 at 06:29:52:

In Reply to: Article in Dallas newspaper about the Mako killing posted by Elaine on June 07, 2013 at 13:08:34:

It is sad that no one seems to understand the importance of sharks in the ecology, let alone the silliness of that kind of trophy
hunt.
It's also too bad when they don't recognize that damage to a specie can go too far, let alone that in the case of sharks it
already has.
Still, while there is a great deal of discussion about the importance to the ecology of that apex predator, I have to wonder
more about the base of the food chain. Take the squid for example. No, there are too many boats doing that already. In California
there are the marine protected areas to allow stocks to recover from over exploitation, particularly the deep water rock fish. I
admit. I was one of the culprits in my younger day. More to the point, we want those to recover, but the same could be said of
most dinner ready fish off of California. But isn't a main source of food for them the squid? I don't think their is much
research on this, but I have to be a bit concerned when you think of the amazing volume of squid taken. Can the medium sized
fish, the bass, the rock fish, the mackerel, bonita, yellowtail, tuna, white sea bass, etc. thrive with so much squid being taken?
It's not the only problem by far, but one that I have pondered.
Enjoy the sea, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.