diver.net

Global Warming hits Palos Verdes

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on June 16, 2013 at 15:34:40:

We made a dive on the crane off Haggerty's this morning and enjoyed a thermal delight. After finding water from 48° to 51° lately, we bathed in sub-tropical 53° under the dirty surface water. It felt like bath water.

Only one of the resident moral eels was home, but the garibaldi nests are ready to have a population explosion. Thousands of tiny eyes looked up at me as I made baby sounds.

photo Haggertys1_zps7ee4b6ce.jpg

photo Haggertys2_zpsfde494ca.jpg

There aren't as many nudibranchs to be found along the west side of P.V. as there are on the south, but I did find one of my favorites, the Hopkin's Rose, Okenia rosacea

photo Haggertys5_zpsb2d7a6b8.jpg

It felt almost like winter here with the kelp growing near the crane. At times it is so thick that you can't get close enough to anchor. There were only a handful of plants nearby today, but they were lush and full of bryozoan and nudibranch eggs.

Visibility was a cloudy six feet at the beginning of the dive, but the current subsided and doubled the vis by the end of the dive.

photo Haggertys8_zps4c71482a.jpg

photo Haggertys9_zps60b1b003.jpg

photo Haggertys4_zps234025b9.jpg

photo Haggertys3_zps062d4ad2.jpg

photo Haggertys7_zps38c1d8cd.jpg

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black