diver.net

Labor of Love

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on September 02, 2013 at 14:27:11:

I must really love diving. If I didn't, I would not have gone out diving on Labor Day. Constant calls to the Coast Guard and Vessel Assist crackled over the radio all day. Even in Southern California many boaters think there is a boating season. They were going out this weekend no matter what condition their boat was in.

The swells picked up a bit, but it was difficult to see them because of the fog that rolled in as we geared up. I told Merry to make sure not to lose the anchor, as we wouldn't want to surface far from the boat.

We set the anchor on the edge of the reef at Honeymoon Cove and Merry marked the spot with her Popoid Reef Marker. I headed north in search of the Moray eel Margaret Webb found last week. Visibility was barely five feet, but I was able to find it within a few minutes. I pointed it out to Merry and told her to get some shots while I explored the east wall. I planned to return in a few minutes for my turn with the eel.

I circumnavigated the reef, but was a little too deep to notice I was below the dropoff along the north side of the reef. I never found the eel again. I swam toward the anchor, but missed it and had to ascend along the kelp. I could see the boat when I surfaced, but I had a bit of a swim to get there. I think I might wait for visibility to clear up before exploring this reef again.

photo ResortPoint1_zpsaddcc8fe.jpg

photo ResortPoint3_zps0c0e3633.jpg
The same two Hopkin's Rose nudibranchs have been laying eggs on this rock since we first found them two weeks ago.

photo ResortPoint2_zps79a7788a.jpg
They lay their eggs next to their favorite snack, Eurystomella bilabiata

photo ResortPoint8_zpsd2d2650c.jpg
Anisodoris nobilis eggs

photo ResortPoint4_zps3558bcce.jpg
Red Rock shrimp, Lysmata californica

photo ResortPoint5_zps86f72e70.jpg
Diaulula sandiegensis

photo ResortPoint6_zps5d7d182b.jpg
Polycera tricolor

photo ResortPoint7_zps07cb5eab.jpg
Cuthona divae