diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Cortes Banks Recommendations

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on September 19, 2013 at 14:35:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Cortes Banks Recommendations posted by Ray on September 19, 2013 at 11:46:16:

Hello Ray/Mike, it is no place to practice boating that's for sure! No refuge for 40nm if it goes bad out there. The good news is, it's really easy to not find yourself there~

Two years ago i spent two beautiful days and nights in conditions you described. I left the bank on a monday morning around 7am with flat, glassy seas all the way home. --24 hours later the Tanner Bank Buoy was reading 17ft @ 10 seconds, wind gusting to 37kts.. Wind and seas like that are beyond dangerous, they are deadly for most small vessels. That forecast didn't exist when i left...

Another time i was anchored on the 80ft plain and a rogue wave came thru. It was about 10Pm and i had two bare feet over the rail, cup of fine rum and coke in hand, Van Morrison on the stereo.. The swell pegged my anchor! Green water sheered off both sides of the skiff--two wet feet! i let out a little more scope, never spilled a drop:~) It is a fascinating place, you can feel it.. Here is a video of the first break (smallest break) on the bank.. It breaks directly over the wreck.

Let's hear some stories!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vrltVDA8Lo

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to