diver.net

But...it looked so good yesterday

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on December 14, 2013 at 18:49:26:

We scouted locations yesterday afternoon for diving today. The sea was flat and looked promising everywhere we looked. I should have called in sick yesterday. After stopping to say hello to Jim Simmerman on the Giant Stride we made our way to Merry's Reef. The water looked pretty green but we could see down the lobster trap lines about ten feet. On the reef it was even greener, and darker, and surgier. Most of the fish and nudibranchs had gone into hiding. The ones that remained in the open were difficult to photograph in the bad conditions.

photo MerrysReef3_zps3dfa7ceb.jpg

photo MerrysReef1_zps1bc941f6.jpg

photo MerrysReef2_zps5685bb20.jpg
Giant kelpfish "with child".

I'd had enough fun for the weekend and washed my gear after the dive. Merry agreed and we headed for home. On the way home we saw salps just below the surface. It has been a long time since we've seen this many so we dropped on the Redondo Barge for a second dive. Similar conditions awaited us below. All of the salps were in the top five feet. I made a go of it, but was thinking I was just wasting a tank.

photo RedondoBarge2_zps2907eda1.jpg

photo RedondoBarge5_zps0ea05d14.jpg

photo RedondoBarge4_zpsc17ac18e.jpg

photo RedondoBarge3_zpsaedc5896.jpg

After washing gear for a second time we pulled anchor and made for home, or at least we would have if my port throttle hadn't broken. We limped in on one motor and worked on the boat until I couldn't stand any more fun for the day. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow, and it won't involve scuba gear.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to