diver.net

OK, how about my take on Begg Rock

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on July 14, 2014 at 16:39:13:

In Reply to: Dive Begg Rock and San Nicolas Island posted by Sea Divers on July 10, 2014 at 17:37:26:

I like Begg Rock, so to paraphrase what I said before...
I was on the dive boat Peace, scheduled for Begg Rock. It is a small set of pinnacles 65 miles out,
near San Nicolas Island. Actually, only one rock sticks above the water and it is about the size of
a small truck. It is the top of a massive basalt crystal that rises from the bottom with nearly
vertical sides. It is the densest, hardest part of the core of some long ago volcano. There are
other more submerged pinnacles around it, connected by narrow ridges.
I was talking with a member of the Ventura Underwater Photo Society (UPS) about the dive site. He
said that he hoped we made it this time. He had been told that the photography was spectacular, but
on 4 previous trips the boat had not been able to make it there due to poor conditions. They had to
stop at San Nicolas Island. That is 54 hours of boat travel before reaching the rock. He and some
other UPS members divers had agreed that the existence of Begg Rock was no more than a myth.
The diving at Begg Rock is primeval and spectacular. In the open currents, fantastically colored
filter feeders grow thick on the vertical rock walls. It is an UW photographers dream. We even made
it there that day. Since it really is there, it must be more than a myth, it's a legend.

http://www.diver.net/seahunt/begg2.gif

And on a totally un-dive related topic, If you are interested, I finally published my book... well
sorta anyway. It's an eBook at Amazon. It represents 40 years of work... It's not just diving that I
am obsessed about. Check it out. When was the last time you actually heard of someone publishing
book on Philosophy ... and Genetics... and Morality... and well there is that focus problem. Besides,
the world really does seem to be going to Hades in a hand basket and who better to have all the answers
than a diver. Check it out: Transition To A New Human Ecology

Even Catalina in the background....

Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the