diver.net

Ay Corambe!

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on February 01, 2015 at 18:40:02:

Imagine the smallest thing you can see with the naked eye. Underwater that would be a Corambe. Two species, pacifica and steinbergae are common to the bryozoan Membranipora membranacea but that doesn't make them any easier to find. Merry pointed some out for me today and if it wasn't for a macro lens, teleconverter and +10 diopter I would never get a photo of one.

We spent all day yesterday looking for them with some success. Some more than others. Kevin and Merry seemed to be firing away in the kelp canopy while I went cross eyed looking at bryozoan all day. With good visibility it was much more relaxing than our usual hunt for micro subjects in poor conditions. Today was another story.

Because of the Superbowl 10K run in Redondo Beach we couldn't get into the marina parking lot until after 11:00. By the time we reached Golf Ball Reef we had wind, green water and a windlass malfunction to deal with. A gray whale swam under the boat where we would be in ten minutes. Bad timing.

With the poor visibility today we stayed pretty much under the boat. I never knew how difficult shallow diving can be until today. The Corambes are found in five to fifteen feet. With surge and a little current we found ourselves finning most of the time. We got so used to our usual style of diving, spending most of the dive in the same spot on the bottom that we weren't used to working out. We made an eighty-two minute dive today following Merry's nearly two hour dip yesterday and Kevin's 2:05 run time. We'll sleep pretty well tonight.

photo GBR1_zps2cf54baf.jpg
Simnia City

photo GBR3_zpsf20a664e.jpg

photo GBR4_zps9c712d49.jpg
Kelp Curlers venturing out of their tubular homes

photo GBR6_zps3b30615a.jpg
Hooded nudibranch, Melibe leonina

photo GBR6_zps3b30615a.jpg
Corambe pacifica on my finger

photo GBR9_zps87491170.jpg
Dendronotus venustus

photo GBR12_zps716a7817.jpg
Polycera atra with Corambe steinbergae bycatch

photo GBR13_zpsf9b8fa59.jpg
Barnacle on a kelp float

photo GBR1_zpsdabfc049.jpg

photo GBR2_zps38209015.jpg
Corambe eggs. Can you spot the two nudis?

photo GBR5_zps0bdc65ca.jpg

photo GBR3_zpse93fe04b.jpg

photo GBR8_zps6210f370.jpg
Dendronotus venustus and Polycera atra

photo GBR6_zpseed09293.jpg
Close up of bryozoan. Cryptic Corambes are hard to spot.

photo GBR10_zpsc0163c45.jpg
We have lift off!

photo GBR14_zpsda4e1527.jpg
Saved by a flat surface that "just happened to be nearby".

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to