diver.net

San Pedro Channel @130ft (email sent)

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on February 06, 2015 at 16:02:21:

In Reply to: Re: It can get scary out there posted by halibug on February 06, 2015 at 07:03:58:

We used to have wind speed and direction in the San Pedro Channel at one of the 3 offshore oil platforms off Huntington Beach. That vital reading was broadcast reliably on the NWSLA.

As a local mariner who has logged over 120,000nm in these waters, i have maintained that every vessel that leaves harbor between Dana Point and Marina del ray will be subjected to the winds in the San Pedro Channel--Arguably one of the heaviest traveled waters in the western hemisphere! Yet we have no real time near shore wind/speed direction from the Santa Monica basin buoy all the way down to the San Clemente basin buoy???

How can that glaring omission from the array have been ignored for so many years??

Check out what happened in Avalon Harbor on the night of Dec 30. A powerful sanata anna wind swept across the entire channel UN NOTICED! Had there been a wind/speed indicator @ 130ft, Avalon would have had a 40 minute to an hour advance warning about the wind that was going to ultimate cost two lives..

Beta runs those platforms--You folks need to START a conversation with them and figure out how to reestablish windspeed/direction from their platform--The use helos--they HAVE weather instrumentation that would assist virtually EVERY mariner in the southern California bight! This omission is begging to be corrected--I would hope that you would get some of your PR folks on this--

I have spoken with other concerned entities. Mr Eddington assures me that if they had a feed, they would add it to their array--no doubt the NWSLA would incorporate it into their hourly broadcast updates.

This is perhaps THE most important fix to a broken array possible--No bigger return for the efforrt than current wind speed direction in the San Pedro Channel!

Please forward this to your contacts at NOAA.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to