diver.net

Re: Re: I've been having a great time!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on February 26, 2015 at 09:54:01:

In Reply to: Re: I've been having a great time! posted by Merry on February 24, 2015 at 18:11:39:

Hello Merry and Seahunt~

For years i have been swimming in the kelp along the back side of Nic looking for what i call the epicenters of life--those incredible rock formations that attract the most fishes..I lost one of the best ones when my old GPS took a dive a couple of years ago. It is an incredible 3 layer shelf that is 6-8 feet deep. I keep looking for it..

The spot that i have been focusing on is a place that i call treehouse. I call it that because i once got 4 treefish in one frame there years ago. It is situated in about 30 feet of water. It is a small cave structure at the base of a bluff that allows fish to swim in and out--a very attractive feature for the fish. The last few trips i have been setting up the video camera right at the entrance of the cave. Recently, I discovered another thing that makes this an epicenter. On top of the rock bluff there is a long crevasse parallel to the swell ... as the swells pass over this crevasse it creates a surge 30 feet below--the small opening literally 'breaths' as noted by the particulate rushing in and out--never knew that until i started getting video-- It is so cool to see those gentle fish checking out the strange contraption in their lair..sheephead, pregnant treefish, kelp, B&Y, olive, painted greenling, etc,etc..

I encounterd that elephant while filming the treehouse. I was in the canopy looking at my camera when i see this huge object come off the bottom and straight up to me. I turned on the camera and hit the record button, but it didn't take--bummer! (i have since cast a small drop of RTV on each button) The elephant was a not a huge mature one, it was young male around 8-9 feet. I did manage to get some video of him swimming around the kelp both days. and he spent the night around the skiff--heard him breathing and snorting all night :).. I have a bunch of fun face-bombs that i hope to make into a short movie along with the elephant..,

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to