diver.net

Re: Re: Server Crash on January 4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jim on August 23, 2015 at 15:41:01:

In Reply to: Re: Server Crash on January 4 posted by Jim on August 23, 2015 at 15:14:57:

Cozumel August 2015
Despite our many, many dive trips to Cozumel, we always seem to find something new. This trip did not disappoint: elkhorn crab, pipehorse sex, new nudibranch, dwarf seahorse…and more.
I'm often asked where Cozumel is located. The largest island in Mexico, Cozumel lies east of the Yucatan Peninsula, near the resort town of Cancun.

From Los Angeles, you can fly direct to Cancun and then take the ferry across to Cozumel; or fly through Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, or Mexico City. Our usual route is via United Airlines from LAX to Houston International and then on to Cozumel. We first visited the island twenty-five years ago and, with rare exception, we have returned each year sometimes more than once a year and recently for two or more weeks each time. Retirement is wonderful. I figure we've spent more than a year of days on the island.
Why, you ask. To SCUBA dive in warm, clear water - home of many colorful and wonderful creatures. There are better dive destinations in the world, but none as convenient, affordable, and safe as Cozumel. We are what some people describe as "been there, done that" divers. Despite having traveled to many wonderful places over the years, we always try to make time to return to Cozumel.
Twenty-five years ago, we chose the Galapago Inn (now Scuba Club Cozumel) from an advertisement in Skin Diver magazine. Our experience was so wonderful we keep coming back and back and back, again. Sofia always greets us with, "Welcome home." Those words are etched in my heart.
Scuba Club Cozumel is an all-inclusive resort, offering packages that include room, board, and diving. The dive operation is on-site and you can do easy, unlimited shore diving in front of the hotel; a great place to play with the u/w camera. Rooms are clean and spacious, many with views of the Caribbean. The food is great, with a variety of Mexican and international cuisine.
Check out SCC'S website. Make a reservation and come see why we love this place so much.
SCC website
Yes, I know, you want to see the pictures. Enjoy:
August 1 LAX – IAH – CZM
Our trip was uneventful and we arrived with all of our luggage and on time. Will wonders never cease?
August 2

Shore dive SCC offers unlimited shore diving in front of the hotel; grab a tank and dive. The entry is by "giant stride" off the dock or an easy swim through a cut in the limestone. Relatively shallow, it'S hard to get deeper than twenty-three feet off shore. A current usually runs from the south to the north, so the best practice is to swim into the current for the first part of the dive before turning and drifting back to the exit point. While not as colorful or dramatic as the coral reefs offshore, there'S a lot to see if you look closely. Here are a few of the images from our first shore dive this trip:
Secretary blenny (Acanthemblemaria maria), smaller than a pencil eraser, but cute as a bug.

Christmas tree worm (Spirobranchus giganteus) these are the gills of the worm that stays hidden in its tube.

Yellowline arrow crab (Stenorhynchus seticornis), a very strange looking, small crab. Looks like an alien from outer space

Nimble spray crab (Percnon gibbesi), very shy, I learned from Ron Tackett to zoom in under the reef structure to grab an image of these neat crabs.

Cozumel August 2015
Despite our many, many dive trips to Cozumel, we always seem to find something new. This trip did not disappoint: elkhorn crab, pipehorse sex, new nudibranch, dwarf seahorse…and more.
I'm often asked where Cozumel is located. The largest island in Mexico, Cozumel lies east of the Yucatan Peninsula, near the resort town of Cancun.

From Los Angeles, you can fly direct to Cancun and then take the ferry across to Cozumel; or fly through Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, or Mexico City. Our usual route is via United Airlines from LAX to Houston International and then on to Cozumel. We first visited the island twenty-five years ago and, with rare exception, we have returned each year sometimes more than once a year and recently for two or more weeks each time. Retirement is wonderful. I figure we've spent more than a year of days on the island.
Why, you ask. To SCUBA dive in warm, clear water - home of many colorful and wonderful creatures. There are better dive destinations in the world, but none as convenient, affordable, and safe as Cozumel. We are what some people describe as "been there, done that" divers. Despite having traveled to many wonderful places over the years, we always try to make time to return to Cozumel.
Twenty-five years ago, we chose the Galapago Inn (now Scuba Club Cozumel) from an advertisement in Skin Diver magazine. Our experience was so wonderful we keep coming back and back and back, again. Sofia always greets us with, "Welcome home." Those words are etched in my heart.
Scuba Club Cozumel is an all-inclusive resort, offering packages that include room, board, and diving. The dive operation is on-site and you can do easy, unlimited shore diving in front of the hotel; a great place to play with the u/w camera. Rooms are clean and spacious, many with views of the Caribbean. The food is great, with a variety of Mexican and international cuisine.
Check out SCC'S website. Make a reservation and come see why we love this place so much.
SCC website
August 1 LAX – IAH – CZM
Our trip was uneventful and we arrived with all of our luggage and on time. Will wonders never cease?
August 2

Shore dive SCC offers unlimited shore diving in front of the hotel; grab a tank and dive. The entry is by "giant stride" off the dock or an easy swim through a cut in the limestone. Relatively shallow, it'S hard to get deeper than twenty-three feet off shore. A current usually runs from the south to the north, so the best practice is to swim into the current for the first part of the dive before turning and drifting back to the exit point. While not as colorful or dramatic as the coral reefs offshore, there'S a lot to see if you look closely. Here are a few of the images from our first shore dive this trip:
Secretary blenny (Acanthemblemaria maria), smaller than a pencil eraser, but cute as a bug.

Christmas tree worm (Spirobranchus giganteus) these are the gills of the worm that stays hidden in its tube.

Yellowline arrow crab (Stenorhynchus seticornis), a very strange looking, small crab. Looks like an alien from outer space

Nimble spray crab (Percnon gibbesi), very shy, I learned from Ron Tackett to zoom in under the reef structure to grab an image of these neat crabs.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to