diver.net

Re: If I read this right...

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on January 29, 2016 at 16:33:40:

In Reply to: If I read this right... posted by seahunt on January 29, 2016 at 16:15:15:

1. Setting the trap limit to 300 traps per permit with the ability to purchase a second permit for a maximum 600 traps. (This is not a radical change and seems fairly practical. It seems they think there is just a little too much fishing pressure due to increased commercial efficiency.)

This is in fact a big change.   Currently there is no limit on the number of traps.   Also over time this will decrease the number of permits because when a lobsterman buys a second permit to increase his number of traps, that permit can no longer be resold.   Over time this will decrease the number of permits.

2. Changing recreational season opener from 12:01 am to 6:00 a.m. (I think the F&G folks don't want to be up late)

A correct assumption.

3. Potentially requiring hole punching or fin clipping of retained lobsters in the sport fishery. (I have no idea if this is a problem. Really, I've seen a few, but very few sport fishers that catch enough to sell many.)

The primary problem with commercial selling of recreational catch has been with hoop netters.   Although in the past divers have been nailed for this.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to