diver.net

Big Sur

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris S. on July 21, 2017 at 12:21:48:

In Reply to: Big Disappointment at Big Sur posted by Max Bottomtime on June 23, 2017 at 15:34:50:

I've done a 4 day Truth Aquatics Big Sur trip every June for the past 6 years running. As one participant put it a few years ago: "It's as close as you can get to an expedition without actually being on one." As Captain Graham once framed the way he looked at diving on the initial brief: "If conditions allow us to get two dives done in the morning, and then diving gets blown out due to wind/swell the rest of the day, we're doing great. Any more dives than two dives on a given day, we're doing fantastic." That said, "normally" they find a way to get 3-4 dives done. 10 ft rollers are normal Big Sur conditions (if there is a normal). Surge is naturally common, too. Still, on one trip in the recent past it was "lake pacific" for 3 1/2 days; the ocean all along the Big Sur coast was like a reflection pond for miles. Other times it has been "Big Sur rough" where not only can you not hang on the anchor chain even if you wanted to, the anchor chain actually is like a medieval weapon that you need to stay far away from. The life and views underwater when the conditions are good to great make it all worth the effort, in my opinion. The conditions can change dramatically in a short time. I was on the trip the previous week when the long lost scooter was recovered at Tide Rock -- we had 120 ft vis on that dive.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to