diver.net

Dive Report: Catalina Island on Sat. July 22nd, 2017

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by J. Reeb on July 23, 2017 at 09:04:21:

Joined some friends to do a three dive trip on the Cee Ray out of Berth 55 Long Beach.

The first and second dives were on Lulu Cove which consisted of a pinnacle and a point dive. Conditions were poor, viz was 10-15' tops, and there was a nagging current that made for extra work.

The third dive was Geiger Reef. What a great wall dive! Viz was only slightly better but great structure greets divers at this site. No kelp though. Why has it not returned? The skipper told us that as a kid the kelp forest at Geiger was so thick no one knew the wall was there until the first El Nino many years ago thinned it enough for people to get in there. I did grab an image from the wall, see the Instagram link below.

Also, during the surface interval at Lulu we were buzzed by several boats. A dingy went by towing an inflatable and it was definitely inside what any reasonable person would think was the exclusion zone around a boat displaying a dive flag. With summer here and lots of casual skippers out there, it is prudent to send up a SMB if you're surfacing anywhere away from the swim step. I had a too close for comfort call several years ago when the group I was with surfaced North of the boat at Bird Rock. We definitely should have shot a SMB before surfacing on that one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW20l69AcnF/

J. Reeb
Dark-thirty Diver
818-635-4408 (text)

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full