diver.net

And Now For Something Completely Different

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on September 14, 2017 at 20:58:55:

Rather than our usual nudibranch hunt Merry and I joined Captain Andy for some diving that's off our beaten path. We began the day diving on an old Navy stockless anchor that Andy found recently. It sits upright in the sand all alone. There is a rock pile a few hundred feet away and the Star of Scotland less than a half mile from the anchor. We don't know if it was from the Star but it's way too large for the average fishing boat.

photo Anchor_ART0170_zpsadnrnhjk.jpg

photo Anchor_ART0171_zpsqbqzyem6.jpg

photo Anchor_ART0172_zpsm27wauyp.jpg

photo Anchor_ART0175_zpsuqzfsggq.jpg

photo Anchor_ART0178_zps8bf4eht5.jpg

After a short dive we moved north to a perplexing reef near Malibu. Thirty large concrete boxes lay end to end, some with a float and metal signs reaching to within twenty feet of the surface. There is so much growth on the signs that you can't read them. At least the fish seem to like the place. We saw three giant sea bass and a few sheepheads that were almost as large.

photo Habitats_ART0185_zps0aamroue.jpg

photo Habitats_ART0189_zpsrddiyegd.jpg

photo Habitats_ART0199_zpskcrpxsmv.jpg

We interrupt our dive report for a public service announcement from Dr. Andrew Saxon.

photo Habitats_ART0214_zpseezreik9.jpg

For our next dive we headed south to the Department of Fish and Wildlife artificial reefs off Santa Monica, Rock pile #9 to be exact. While I was shooting wide angle Merry found a tiny Okenia angelensis nudibranch. I believe it is the one millionth species she has discovered.

photo Rockpile 9_ART0222_zpsjfsco8sg.jpg

photo Rockpile 9_ART0226_zps8uzbeapi.jpg

photo Rockpile 9_ART0231_zpsl4wzn0iw.jpg

I may leave my wide angle lens on for my next dive, but I'll soon be back to normal.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to