diver.net

Soaking my dry gills

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on March 20, 2018 at 16:25:31:

Merry and I couldn't take it any longer. We finished most of our obligations in Phoenix and made a quick dive at Golf Ball Reef before the next storm arrives. With high surf last week and dirty water last weekend, we weren't sure if or when we would ever dive again.

The surface didn't look very promising as our anchor disappeared from view in only a few feet of water. I expected to abort the dive as soon as we hit the sand but it wasn't bad at all. No surge, decent visibility and many animals out and about as we tried not to stir up the sand covered reef. I spent a lot of time watching a Navanax inermis crawl over a small kelp frond. As I was about to ascend a pretty red snubnose sculpin began inching toward my camera. After each shot I took it kept getting so close that I couldn't focus on it. I finally waved goodbye and headed up, but not before showing Merry the smallest Eurylepta californica flatworm I have ever seen.

It's already raining as I type this so it may be awhile before my next dive. What else is new?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to