diver.net

Rancho Palos Verdes Dive Site; Pt. Vicente

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on January 15, 2019 at 11:13:22:

The pinnacles south of Whale Rock at Pt. Vicente is one of the few dive sites around the peninsula where you may encounter currents. I descended with friends once and we looked like flags on a pole. Never again! When the kelp is at the surface, it is one of the more beautiful dives in Southern California.

Large pinnacles rise from ninety feet to within fifteen feet of the surface. Several species of sponges, rockfish, and tunicates blanket the rocks with a healthy kelp forest surrounding the area. My favorite animal encounter happened at Pt. Vicente. I was taking my neighbor, a newly certified diver for his first ocean dive. As I reached the reef at thirty-five feet, a large Thresher shark cruised by. It glided over the top of the rocks, paying no attention to me. I was awed by its silvery shading and huge tailfin. I haven't seen any animal as spectacular since, although we did spend an hour there with Orcas playing, mating, and swimming under our boat.

At least one diver I know has dived the pinnacles from shore. He walked down Cardiac Hill to Pelican Cove, formerly Pt. Vicente Fishing Access. From the rocky shore, he walked toward Pt. Vicente. It's a long hike and swim with hazards such as a rocky entry/exit and boat traffic, but there are restrooms and a water fountain waiting for you up in the parking lot. The best diving is six hundred feet southwest of Whale Rock, but the reef covers the entire area around the rock. 33° 44.328N 118° 24.895W

photo PointVicente3_zpsf2f0b699.jpg

photo PointVicente17_zps748d6725.jpg

photo PointVicente18_zps6bf6b718.jpg

photo PointVicente20_zpsc6c86184.jpg

photo PointVicente21_zpsae612b48.jpg

photo PointVicente22_zps4ddb9d13.jpg

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL: