diver.net

God's Pocket 2019 Dive Report

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on April 06, 2019 at 12:30:39:

After the sale of God's Pocket Resort last year, the new ownership group had to wait for more than three months to get their permit approved. By the time the red tape unraveled, a couple hundred thousand dollars in deposits were returned. Those of us who left our deposits were finally rewarded with the best vacation of our lives. The new crew worked tirelessly to ensure we were comfortable, overfed and somehow kept Browning Pass as smooth as glass.

The new management group, Claus Eckbo, Antione Moret and Yolaine Cabana have worked hard over the winter to get the resort up and running. Yolaine serves as maid/dining room service/resort manager. Chris Miller is the deck boss on the boat while his wife Belinda somehow makes incredible meals for a dozen divers and staff in the small kitchen. B is not only the best chef we have had at God's Pocket but her deserts ruined my diet. Chris and B also worked on the Nautilus Swell in the same capacity. Captain Dan Kannon worked with Chris and Belinda on their liveaboard Sea Venture three decades ago. He has a 300T license and has captained cruise ships and 80-meter yachts around the world. He now runs the Hurst Isle masterfully, dropping us in the right spots at the right times. Thanks to Dan, I finally saw my first Grunt Sculpin early in one dive. Naturally, I had the wrong lens on my camera. Merry had better luck.

Our first week was shared with many Southern California photographers including Phill Colla, Richard Salas, Ken Ashman, Jami Leslie, and Marla Matin. Merry and I were feeling a bit intimidated when we saw the list, but we held our own. I'm still jealous of Merry's Grunt Sculpin photos.

With the great food, flat seas and wonderful crew, we wish we could stay all year. There are many weeks still available for those who wish to see not only the best cold water diving in the world but in my not so humble opinion, the best diving period. Bill and Annie left some big shoes to fill when they retired last year, but it will not be long before divers relate their tales of their days at God's Pocket with the new group. They all have many years of experience diving the area. We even dived a few sites that we had never been to during our previous trips.

Two small duffel bags with clothes, the rest are for dive and camera gear.

God's Pocket Bay

Rooms to sleep a bit between dives. There is little time for much else.

Ramp and cabins

I skipped a few dives to rest and hike. Banana slugs are not as photogenic as the underwater variety.

Camera clutter. The pile is probably worth more than the boat.

Hmmm. Which camera is mine?

Off to the dive sites

Merry and Gary thinking about their next photo subjects

Chris takes Merry camera before her giant stride

The ripples in the water were from the boat

And now for the real reason we come up here.

Polychaete larvae were swimming everywhere

Springtime in Browning Pass brought lots of spawning. Anemones, snails, sea cucumbers, lingcod, and nudibranchs were spewing out the next generation.

Sea cucumber eggs floated past like little antihistamine capsules.

I found a very pale Rostanga pulchra. Identification thanks to Jeff Goddard.

Dan, Yolaine, Belinda and Chris

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.