Pushed Our Luck And The Ocean Pushed Back

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on July 18, 2019 at 18:38:27:

We had a couple of not so horrible dives earlier in the week. We had high hopes for better conditions today, so we set out after sunrise for another try at Biodome and Golf Ball Reef. The west side was pretty flat but there were mixed swells as we rounded Rocky Point. I told Merry we needed to stop waiting for good conditions in case we missed any good dives despite the surface conditions. I was wrong.

We dropped into dirty, dark green water at Biodome. It only cleared to eight feet visibility on the bottom, where surge pushed us around, making it very difficult to hold our cameras still. The Rockpool blenny still wouldn't cooperate and it was so dark that neither of us found any Santa Barbara Janolus.

At Golf Ball Reef the wind had come up early but I wanted to get in one more dive before things got any worse. Visibility was a little better here, perhaps ten to twelve feet, although a moderately strong current was trying to push us north. Merry called the dive early but I stuck it out in case I found something interesting. About the only interesting find was the two Thordisa rubescens I found a few days ago, only a few inches from where I last saw them.

Unless we hear about great visibility around Palos Verdes in the next few days we'll be drying our gills at home.

Follow Ups:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to
help prevent spam bots
from flooding this BBS.
Text Key: