diver.net

Conditions Improving, Slightly

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on September 17, 2019 at 09:27:33:

Reports of great visibility over the weekend surprised me after the poor conditions on Friday. I took the news with a grain of saltwater and decided to see for myself. Merry and I stayed close to home by diving Torrance Reef and Golf Ball Reef again.

The wind was already up by the end of our first dive at 8:30. Visibility was twelve to fifteen feet, far from the thirty feet reported on Saturday but better than the eight feet on Friday.

Merry found the largest Dendrodoris nigromaculata either of us had ever seen, a whopping 3/4 of an inch! I hadn't found much during either dive until I headed back for the anchor. About twenty feet away were two Jorunna pardus with an egg coil between them. We haven't found pardus laying eggs so I'm not sure if the coil belonged to one of them.

The temperature on the reefs was 57°. The surface temperature was 72° until halfway through my safety stop. I felt a sudden chill and watched my computer go from 72° to 68° almost instantly. I'm hoping Fall arrived that quickly while I was hanging there. Perhaps good conditions are on the horizon.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to