diver.net

Stormy Monday

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on October 07, 2019 at 19:29:11:

I read Roger Carlson's report of seventy feet visibility yesterday just an hour before Jim Simmerman called me to let me know about similar conditions at Hawthorne Reef. We have some mechanical work to do on No Pressure this month, so Merry and I have been sticking close to home on the rare occasions we do venture out.

With gas prices skyrocketing last month, I figured I would add to the financial burden that comes with boat ownership by going to Los Angeles Harbor to fill up. At $4.98 per gallon, it was a good chunk of change, but nothing compared to the fuel docks in King Harbor and Marina del Rey. They typically charge two to three dollars more per gallon.

We decided to visit White Point Rock on the way. Our usual luck held out, as visibility was a murky twelve to fifteen feet. We found the usual critters, including five Ategema alba. We rarely find them elsewhere. We surfaced just as a fog bank passed by.

After filling up, we headed into a maelstrom between Angel's Gate and Pt. Vicente. Wind waves smashed against our bow as our wipers got a workout. After finally making it around to the west side of the peninsula, the wind subsided but by then the swells had picked up. We looked for a safe place to make a second dive but opted to come home instead. Another long day with little to show for it.

I'm looking forward to diving from the Giant Stride at Farnsworth next Saturday. I need a break from the pounding we took today.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to