diver.net

Epic beauty and different species at Farnsworth Bank

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Merry on October 28, 2019 at 12:54:00:

More from the private charter on the Giant Stride with Captain Jim Simmerman, Kevin Lee and Jeff Reeb.

Nothing is more exciting to me than discovering marine life that I've never seen before. Farnsworth Bank delivered aplenty with 7 new-to-me species. Adding to the experience was the bonus of calm, flat seas, blue water and a spacious dive boat. It doesn't get any better than that. Many thanks to Jim Simmerman for 2 outstanding trips to Farnsworth.

Smokey sunrise in San Pedro Channel
San Pedro Channel

Kevin and Phil
Phil Garner and Kevin Lee

Phil grooving on conditions

Eagle Rock
Eagle Rock, flat seas

The Giant Stride, a 6-pack out of San Pedro
a href="https://www.divermerry.com/Recent-Dives/Farnsworth/i-PBzHVg4/A">Giant Stride

California hydrocoral, Stylaster californicus

Further studies are needed to classify this unusual sea star, but the current place-holder is Pharia pyramidata.

The most exciting find of the trips was a cryptic, commensal snail, only found on hydrocoral. Such a delicate and beautiful adaptation. Pedicularia californica

Another commensal animal found only on hydrocoral is a 5mm polychaete worm, Proceraea penetrans. Left of the snail.

In response to the worm, the hydrocoral encapsulates the worm, forming its home. I didn't see these on the dive!

Phil shooting a small patch of zoanthids that are only found at the Southern Channel Islands. Epizoanthus giveni.

Epizoanthus giveni

Our old friend, Urticina mcpeaki

Juveniles of the invasive algae that is devastating the underwater park, Sargassum horneri.
Dr. Bill kindly confirmed the ID.

Algae, probably Codium hubbsii
ID thanks to Dr. Jeff Goddard

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the