diver.net

Catalina Westend Including Farnsworth Bank and the Midnight Hour Wreck, 1-4-2020

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeff J Reeb on January 05, 2020 at 08:50:43:

So it looks like dive conditions are starting to turn for the better, we dove three sites off Catalina Island yesterday and conditions were pretty good everywhere. What we're seeing is an influx of clean blue water diluting the green water that's been hanging out here all year long, resulting in varying levels of visibility, but trending towards improved conditions.

Our first stop yesterday was the Midnight Hour Wreck off the Westend of Catalina Island. This commercial squid boat sank in 2011 and lays on its side on a 100' sand bottom. I went down solo to verify that we had accurately hooked the wreck and found the anchor sitting about 50' short. Fortunately the hulk of the wreck loomed nearby in the early morning gloom so I stretched a reel line from the Giant Stride's anchor to the bow of the boat and placed a strobe light at the attachment point so our divers would be able to navigate easily to the wreck. With a bread crumb trail in place, I returned to the anchor and used my 40 cuft stage bottle to send a 3 second blast of air to the surface as a signal that diving could commence. Viz on the wreck was 40', 60F. Not bad.

Dive 2 was Farnsworth Bank, first dove by recreational divers in 1959-1960, many consider this to be one of the finest dive sites in all of Socal. Surface conditions were spectacular, beautiful blue skies and gentle swells made for an easy entry. Down on the reef viz was 25', pretty blue, with a moderate surge.

Dive 3 was Nick's pinnacle near Johnson Rock. Here the green water was still holding fast somewhat, but it was fairly clean so viz was 20+'. Temps are holding everywhere at 60F.

Departure at 0630: https://www.instagram.com/p/B65sv14hiyk/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Returning at 5:00PM: https://www.instagram.com/p/B66y1X5Bv67/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Jeff "J." Reeb
Dark-Thirty Divers
The Giant Stride

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the