diver.net

That's no answer.....

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on March 21, 2021 at 09:16:02:

In Reply to: Re: The question is... posted by Max Bottomtime on March 21, 2021 at 08:15:20:

The undated PV article carefully says nothing. The original efforts in PV, years ago, that
worked and brought back the kelp were done with hammers.
If they want to help the North Coast, they have to let the recreational divers crush
urchins. There is absolutely no reason to make it hard by forcing their harvesting
and removal.
This is silly.
You say it will stay closed until 2026 but you know it's not going to open then or
until long after that.
It's not going to be recovered enough for any hunt.
They have no realistic plan to deal with urchins.
The 2020 plan is still basically to do nothing. Paying commercial boats to do remove
urchins isn't going to make any kind of dent compared to what volunteers could do. I'm
not sure that they can even do enough anyway.
In the only one place (page 88) it even mentions volunteer divers culling urchins,
it said it could be mentioned to CDFW management. Removal is way too inefficient. I
asked why not allow crushing I'd
like any explanation of why they can't simply be crushed in place.
With the current plan, it's unlikely there will be enough progress for even the kelp
to have started recovering by 2026 except perhaps in small areas.
The damage is already done to the abalone population. It will take far longer to
recover after the urchins are gone and the kelp has recovered.
... And a lot of that blame is squarely on the CDFW. This didn't have to be so bad.
This happened on their watch and they still have basically done nothing to "conserve"
this fishery that is important to sport divers and critical to the economy of the
North Coast.
Why did they even post that? They're just blowing smoke and you know it. You know,
strokes.
Why can't divers crush them?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to