diver.net

Dark...I mean Dock Dive

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on June 12, 2021 at 17:29:09:

We hoped to get out this morning but the waves had built overnight. I looked at the water in the marina yesterday and it was bad...really bad. I think there was more plankton than water in the soup. I left my camera set up in hope of diving today so I woke up early and walked down to the marina.

Visibility was the worst I have seen under the docks. I couldn't see the bottom unless I was touching it, which just makes things worse. I could only see about six inches in front of my camera. Staying close to our slip, I didn't find anything interesting until I spotted some bubble snail eggs. Nearby were a dozen bubble snails playing dogpile. I spent quite a bit of time there even though staring at snails can get a bit boring. They don't do a whole lot.

Last month I found a floating patch of kelp in the marina. It still had the holdfast, so I fastened it to some large rocks and planted it in front of our boat. In spite of the warm 64 water, the kelp is flourishing. The upper fronds are covered in solitary tunicates, Ciona savignyi.

After more than an hour of Braille diving, I felt my way back to my ladder and gave my gear a good washing.

Ciona savignyi

Caprella californica

Diaulula sandiegensis eggs

Navanax inermis

Aegires albopunctatus

Bulla gouldiana, Gould's Bubble snail

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL: