diver.net

After 23 days in Fiji, I need a vacation

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on October 02, 2022 at 19:25:35:

During February 19-29 2016, Severe Tropical Cyclone Winston hit Fiji, including the areas we dived last month. It was the most intense tropical cyclone in the Southern Hemisphere on record, reducing the once lush reefs to rubble. The corals and fish have made a strong comeback, but six years of growth is a long way from what the area once was.

Some reefs have areas where soft coral is found in isolated patches, while others have individual corals spread around. The upper sections of most reefs were covered by the heartier hard coral, which survived the cyclone a bit more.

Currents, surface conditions, and lack of soft coral allowed me time to rest on the sun deck and enjoy the solitude of the South Pacific. During the dives I did make, I had to search for photo subjects. We dived a manta cleaning station twice, but the rays never showed.

We spent over three weeks in Fiji, enjoying the warm (and not humid) climate and friendly locals. Guests aboard the Nai'a liveaboard during out first week included friends from Seattle and the Central California coast. It was a nice, relaxing vacation. The next week's guest were quite...rambunctious is a good word. Loud cheers and goat impressions were heard non-stop throughout the boat for ten days.

One guest arrived with a cold, which two others caught, including me. For over a week, I had a pounding sinus headache. The goat impressions didn't help. I hope to be fully recovered in a few days, at which time my attitude toward the trip will likely improve.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to