Oh, I see you were honest.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on March 15, 2005 at 06:22:14:

In Reply to: Re: OK. Just tell me one thing honestly. posted by Steve Shimek on March 14, 2005 at 22:27:42:

>But, the urchins and abs are in the cracks, out of reach af ALL hunters/gatherers.
>I'm certain this email will be flamed, but I certainly do respect the point of view of urchin and recreational harvesters. I have a different point of view.
Looking back at your first post, I see you actually are honest. You seem pleased that the game will be out of reach of ALL hunters/gatherers.
>I'm certain this email will be flamed, but I certainly do respect the point of view of urchin and recreational harvesters. I have a different point of view.
Extrapolating that point of view you seem like a person who would think that humans should be vegetarians or simply that humans should not exist.
Actually I wanted to know who benefits so that I could compare your list to the long list that loses if the otters spread.
I see humans as capable of enhancing the environment and also utilizing it for human benefit. I do not call an animal a pest because I cannot use it. My favorite animal is probably the Corynactus anemone. I call very few animals a pest and only if they are ecologically destructive.No other animal I know of is as ecologically destructive an otter, not even a mongoose. (well, worldwide, maybe sheep).
Remember "The Silent Spring" from careless pesticide use. Otters cause that in the ocean. Humans can co-exist, but few animals can co-exist with otters.
Enjoy, Mike
My sister graduated Uncle Charlies Summer Camp in 74. I went from 74 to 78. I was doing intertidal biology, so that meant Linda Goff, John Pearse, Andrew Moldenke, Bill Long and other great instructors.
What a wonderful place and time!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]